Spur MTB League Inter-Schools Final will take place at Bekker High School in Magaliesburg on Saturday, 7 October and Sunday, 8 October.
After six months of rigorous training, hours of trail riding through mountainous terrain and 46 regional events across the country, the end is in sight and the Spur Schools MTB League champions will soon be named.
- The Spur Schools Mountain Bike League is second only to the USA in having the largest high school league in the world.
- The Spur Schools Mountain Bike League is the biggest high school cycling programme in South Africa and the largest feeder system for mountain biking in the country with 493 participating schools comprised of over 10 500 entries, which shows a 10% year-on-year annually growth. The League is comprised over 46 regional events across 9 provinces.
- The League transcended South Africa into neighbouring regions like Zimbabwe, Namibia and Lesotho.
League highlights of 2017
- Tiffany Keep, one of the League riders, represented South Africa at the World Champs in Australia
- Alan Hatherley of Team Spur came 2nd at UCI MTB World Cup in Australia
- This year Gauteng received record entries of 850+ at the Gauteng #3 event
The League is South Africa’s biggest high school cycling programme and the largest feeder system for mountain biking in the country. With 493 participating schools delivering more than 10 500 entries, the competition has been tight.
The goal of the league stretches far beyond nurturing exceptional talent among young racers. Instead the league recognises the contribution that mountain biking makes and how it indirectly encourages a healthy, active lifestyle, as well as a connection with nature and the outdoors. And every year since its inception, the League achieved a 10% growth rate.